So, the goal of my last-at-home supper prior to this week’s business trip was to have something delicious, fast and healthy. Patruck and I made the Turkey and Roasted Red Pepper Meat Loaf in March’s Real Simple. It was AWESOME. We both stuffed ourselves and we froze half for later on.
We modified the recipe slightly to suit our tastes – here are some notes:
- Left out the fresh parsley. It seemed like a lot and isn’t really my thing. Threw in a few shakes of Dutch Chervil instead. (Had it on hand – excellent in salmon marinade – that’s why I keep it around.)
- We used freshly grated parmesan. Not sure how much, but I’m guessing about 3/4 of a cup, not a full cup as the recipe calls for.
- We were too lazy to chop the roasted red peppers. That Patruck has some serious man hands - so he pulverized those peppers as he mixed up the meat loaf. His hands were quite orange by the end.
- The tip they give about not using a loaf pan actually seemed to help. I find turkey meat loaf can end up dry because the turkey is so lean – I definitely think it cooked better and stayed more moist.
- The list of ingredients is deceiving – some it is for vinaigrette salad dressing. You don’t need all that for just the meat loaf.